Converse, located in northeastern Bexar County, was named for a chief engineer in the Southern Pacific Railroad. Major Converse bought land in 1877 which included what is now the city of Converse. In 1878 a Post Office was established. The community was settled by German farmers and by 1885 the population was 30. Converse has the oldest 4-H Club in Texas. Converse is adjacent to Randolph Air Force Base, known as the ?Showplace of the Air Force,? which was dedicated on June 20, 1930.
Nearby San Antonio offers plenty for Converse residents including The Alamo, the San Antonio Zoo, Fort Sam Houston, Institute of Texan Cultures, Market Square, Riverwalk, San Antonio Botanical Gardens, Natural Bridge Caverns, McNay Art Museum, San Antonio IMAX Theatre, San Antonio Museum of Art, Scobee Planetarium, the Spanish Governor's Palace, Seaworld San Antonio, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, and Splashtown. For sports fans, the San Antonio Spurs tip off at the Alamodome and there are college teams offering competition in basketball, baseball, volleyball, and soccer.